Howth Harbour Lighthouse, built in 1817, is located at the end of Howth Harbour. The building, was also used for defensive purposes as the strong circular wall defends a gun position. The lighthouse keeper’s residence is the small Georgian style house attached. It was occupied until 1955 when electric lighting was first introduced. A nearby sign states that, on Sunday 26th July 1914, author Erskine Childers (The Riddle of the Sands) landed weapons here for the Irish Volunteers from his yacht, Asgard. He was later executed by the authorities of the Irish Free State during the Irish Civil War. His son, Erskine Hamilton Childers, became the fourth President of Ireland from 1973 until his death in 1974
Lokofoto - 12" x 7"
*Printed photograph will appear exactly as displayed here. (including watermarks, signatures etc.)